Cancer is a disease too prevalent to ignore. It is the second leading cause of death after heart attack. It is a disease that affects so many people and virtually we all know someone who has died of cancer. Around 8.2 million people die of cancer each year. However, cancer is 90% curable if diagnosed in time.
4th February’2016 is marked as the World Cancer Awareness day. It is celebrated globally to raise awareness and take initiative to fight the epidemic. We are taking this opportunity to contribute in this year’s World Cancer Day theme “We Can I Can”. CloudClinik is playing its part by providing a diverse EMR system that will help oncologists fight against cancer.
Here are some important stats about cancer.
- Cancers figure among the leading causes of morbidity and mortality worldwide, with approximately 14 million new cases and 8.2 million cancer related deaths in 2012
- Among men, the 5 most common sites of cancer diagnosed in 2012 were lung, prostate, colon rectum, stomach, and liver cancer
- Among women the 5 most common sites diagnosed were breast, colon rectum, lung, cervix, and stomach cancer
- More than 60% of world’s total new annual cases occur in Africa, Asia and Central and South America. These regions account for 70% of the world’s cancer deaths.
- Tobacco use is the most important risk factor for cancer causing around 20% of global cancer deaths and around 70% of global lung cancer deaths.
- Breast Cancer is the most common cancer in women no matter what race or ethnicity. Studies indicate that about1 in 8 women is at the risk of developing breast cancer during her lifetime.
- According to WHO, more than 60% of world’s total new annual cases occur in Africa, Asia and Central and South America. These regions account for 70% of the world’s cancer deaths.